Depending on which part of the world you live in, there’s a good chance that you’re already experiencing environmental allergy symptoms due to the high amount of pollen in the air. In the U.S. it’s Spring – well technically it’ll be Spring next week, but the blooming flowers all around us are informing us that Spring is already here! Below are 5 home remedies that people have been applying for years to assist with treating the allergy symptoms.
First, what are some common symptoms related to environmental allergies?
- Runny Nose
- Scratchy Throat
- Red, irritated eyes
- Skin Irritations
- Difficulty breathing in extreme cases
Now, what can you do to help yourself?
If you don’t like taking medications, there are “natural” remedies you can give a go —
- A hot beverage like tea or just hot water and lemon is a good place to begin – try green tea with honey and lemon for its soothing effects.
- Hot soaks in the bath – add some Epsom salts in for added comfort and relaxation. With allergies comes inflammation, so anything you can do to ease that within your body will likely be beneficial to you.
- Many people swear by essential oils to assist with enhancing their breathing and ability to smell. Choose essential oils like eucalyptus and lemon balm for their opening and calming effects.
- Rest – ensuring that you receive the optimal amount of sleep each night will assist your body with regulating itself.
- Stay hydrated – whether it be with tea, or with water, hydration will help your body to fight off those pesky allergy symptoms,
- For itchy, watery eyes, apply a warm compress by wetting a washcloth and warming it in your microwave for about 10-15 seconds, then apply the warmth and moisture to your eyes for ten minutes. This will feel great and offer your itchy eyes some much-needed relief.
- Exercise – exercise makes us feel better and in turn, it will help to ease the symptoms of those annoying seasonal allergies.
Trying each of those remedies will most likely give you some relief and it will aid you in other issues of physical and mental fortitude as well.
For any regular allergy sufferers that take medications or for any children with allergies, it’s a smart idea to get them an allergy alert bracelet from StickyJ! We carry kids ID bracelets in many fun colors and styles that they’ll love. Keep yourself and your children safe this Spring and all year-round!